Mode of workshop: HYBRID
ONLINE Classes for 7 weeks: Free to Enroll (No Fee); October 17 – December 3
IN-PERSON project in the 8th week at IIT Madras: Rs. 7000 + GST; December 19 – December 24
First 7 weeks: October 17 to December 3 2022
- Free for everyone.
- Every week, recorded videos will be shared with an assignment that has to be submitted.
- Device requirements: A computer and good internet connection to access the above content.
- Live interactive online session for doubt clearing and discussions: every Saturday 6 – 8pm
Eligibility to register and attend the 8th week in-person workshop:
- Submitting the weekly assignments
- Device requirements:
To obtain a certificate:
- Attend the 8th week workshop at IIT Madras in person
- Date: 19 – 24 December, 2022
- Fees: Rs 7000+ GST
- Intended audience: Faculty members and industry professionals
What this course teaches you:
Globally, demand is increasing for skilled professionals proficient in immersive technologies such as virtual reality (VR) and augmented reality (AR). According to Goldman Sachs reports that the AR/VR industry will be worth $95 billion by 2025. At the same time, running in parallel is AI and machine learning, which are not only becoming mainstream quickly, but are now considered mission-critical for modern business.
The Eight-week Foundation course on Virtual Reality (VR) and Augmented Reality (AR) provides working professionals with the essential Unity3D skills / tools needed to build VR AR apps by better understanding of these emerging technologies. Valuable insights from a distinguished IIT Madras faculty members and Industry leaders will help them to acquire critical knowledge of perceptual engineering and AR VR system design principles. This program also offers participants a project development workflow to create a presentable prototype. Theoretical concepts will be supplemented with hands-on tutorials via demonstrations and (optional) assignments.
Based on the performance of the participants in the quiz and assignments and other continuous assessments, top 100 faculty will be invited to campus for immersion and hands on with various AR/VR systems in the campus.
Last date of Registration: October 15th ,2022
WEEK 1: Overview and Introduction to Immersive Technologies (AR/VR/MR)
- Concepts covered: Course Mechanics, History, Terminologies, Trends
- Learning outcome: To Explore, Understand and Experience various VR and AR demonstration
WEEK 2: Foundations of Perceptual Engineering
- Concepts covered: Visual Anatomy and Perception
- Learning outcomes: To Explore, Understand perceptual concepts with demos
WEEK 3: Getting Started with UNITY 3D
- Concepts covered: Hands on with Unity3D
- Learning outcomes: Ability to make quick prototype with assets and scripts from store/lib
WEEK 4: Introduction to Marker Based AR (VUFORIA) and Markerless AR (ARCORE/ARKIT)
- Concepts covered: AR evolution and types of AR (marker, marker less, AR spark, Gesture based)
- Learning outcomes: Ability to make quick AR prototype with readily available assets and scripts fro store/lib
WEEK 5: Introduction 360 VR (3DOF) and OCCULUS QUEST VR (6DOF)
- Concepts covered: VR evolution Google CARDBOARDVR, 360 VR, 3DOF vs 6DOF,
- Learning outcomes: Ability to make quick 360 VR assets and scripts from store/lib
WEEK 6: Advanced AR/VR and Industry Usecases
- Concepts covered: AR /VR systems with IOT, AI and Haptics
- Learning outcomes: Ability to understand XR technologies value addition for business
WEEK 7:The Human Centric AR/VR -UX DESIGN -PROD PIPELINE -GUIDELINES
- Concepts covered: User Centered Design, User Experience and 3D User Interfaces
- Learning outcomes: To learn how to define objectives for VR testing and explore VR testing methods
WEEK 8: VR / AR Project
8th Week will be in person.
Profile of the Instructor(s)
Dr M.Manivannan, Professor, Department of Applied Mechanics, IIT Madras.
He was a visiting Scientist at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) in Cambridge, Massachusetts General Hospital (MGH) of Harvard Medical School (HMS) in Boston, National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST), Maryland, and a visiting faculty in the Christian Medical College (CMC) Vellore, and Indian Institute of Science (IISc).
He setup the first Touchlab in India at IIT Madras.
In 2021, he setup first multidisciplinary center for VR and Haptics known as Experiential Technology Innovation Center (XTIC) (https://xtic.org) at IIT Madras.
Eligibility & Fees
The course is exclusively for faculties and working professionals.
Pre-requisite condition to attend the workshop:
- A computer or laptop that can run UNITY3D or Unreal Engine before the course starts. Technical specifications are given in https://www.cgdirector.com/unity-system-requirements/
- Arrange a VR headset such as Oculus-Quest or mobile phone with Google Cardboard that supports UNITY3D.
Fees for the Hands-on in person workshop:
- Needs to be paid after completing the 7 weeks of theory and satisfying the eligibility conditions.
- Rs 7,000 + 18%GST = Rs 8,260 (includes lunch, tea/snacks)
Certificate will be issued for those successfully completing the course and attending the 8th week Hands-on training after paying the fee.
Weighted Combination of all these factors:
- Final Exams (50%),
- Daily Assessment (10%),
- Weekly Assignments (30%),
- Attendance (10%)
- Pass Score: 60%(Complete), 75% (Elite), 90% (Gold)